« Home | Why??? »

Response to the poem "Shooting Rats at the Bibb County Dump

The poem is very creative and uses many literary elements. In the line "Shot in the head, they jump only once, lie still like dead beer cans."(Mr. Bottoms) the way they lie dead is compared to beer cans using simile. I believe the poem is discussing a group of drunken rednecks who enjoy shooting rats. I think the irony is that the rats think they are being shot by the lights. The plot is that a group of people get together and get drunk. Then they go to the dump and shoot at rats. I have no clue what the point of this poem is.

Can either of you draw a connection between the shooters and the rats?

I agree that there is no point to this poem. But I must say, there was no creativity that I could find in it.

there is no connection between the rats and the people...if they have one thing in common it's that they are both dumb...

I concur!

Post a Comment